2004
Volume 26, Issue 3
  • ISSN: 0779-7397
  • E-ISSN:

Abstract

Abstract

Silences are an essential part of music. When rigorously measured, like in Michael Maierhof’s Zonen 6 for guitar orchestra, silences can structure an entire composition and help the listener make sense of a piece. Their artistic usage also has a dramatic affect on the conductor’s role and performance practice. Exactly 75% of Michael Maierhof’s Zonen 6 for guitar orchestra can be described as composed and metered soundscapes played and performed by seventeen guitar players. The other 25% of the piece is comprised of measured and conducted silence. In this article, Thomas Moore will delve in the artistic use of these silences and examine the manner in which they frame the soundscapes and help create structure. The use of the conductor throughout these silences will also be considered, as well as the possible ways in which this affects the guitarists’ performance and the audience’s perception of the piece.

Loading

Article metrics loading...

/content/journals/10.5117/FORUM2019.3.MOOR
2019-11-01
2021-06-24
Loading full text...

Full text loading...

http://instance.metastore.ingenta.com/content/journals/10.5117/FORUM2019.3.MOOR
Loading
  • Article Type: Research Article
This is a required field
Please enter a valid email address
Approval was a Success
Invalid data
An Error Occurred
Approval was partially successful, following selected items could not be processed due to error